ABOUT THIS BLOG:

Before you read anything in this blog, please be aware that this is a writer's "personal" blog so many elements contained within are not the same opinions of those of any of the companies that the writer is associated with. This blog is simply for entertainment value and allows the writer a venue which is free from censorship.

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

Monday, June 16, 2008

"Censorship & Opinions"

Been away for a little while as I've had to do a lot of thinking over the past few weeks. Many unexpected things happened which prompted me to add the "About This Blog:" at the top of the page. Some of the things which I've mentioned throughout this blog as well as the other four blogs I maintain have come into question so a similar warning was added to some of them.

Personally, I love criticism when its creative, in fact, if you've been following me (and my various blogs) over the years you know I'm my own worse enemy. I love to critique myself and look forward to others doing the same to my work. This is one of the reasons why I've started writing short stories on the Story Smash website (www.storysmash.com) which allows a writer to start a story but then allows other writers to continue it in an almost "Choose Your Own Adventure" sort of fashion. The more interesting story ideas have several branches from which have sprung out from the original concept (you'll know what I'm talking about when you view the site). Each chapter is allowed comments and writers continue to add chapters to the story that they think has the most interesting elements.

I've started one story on the website and continued another writer's story and that other writer whose story I continued thought my ideas were very different but in a unique way because they went so far from what she thought up. I got a comment on the first chapter of my story which simply said "Terrible." This is not a comment but a blank statement with no meaning whatsoever and I told the reader this is a Reply comment. I suggested that he either say what he did or did not like about the story or simply continue the story in a way he thought was better. I'm still waiting for him to respond.

I'm a writer and a filmmaker and I comment and critique everything whether I want to or not. After five years of college and a A.B. degree in Film I'm entitled to my opinion. Also, with over twent-five feature and short indie films on my back I believe that I have the knowledge and background to comment on my own productions in any way I see fit regardless of the consequences.

I'm someone who learns from his mistakes and tries to teach others what I know as well as learn from them. It's the nature of the business I'm in. I'm going to learn more by doing rather then from a damn book because a book can only teach you so much in terms of making a film. I don't know everything and I've never claimed that I did. I only know, what I know and everything else I learn on the way and I'm not afraid to fail or be a failure. I've failed at a lot of things in my time and I learn from that failure and move on hoping that with each failure I become a stronger human being as well as a better filmmaker.

Opinions are like assholes because everyone has one. It's in the way in which you present that opinion that matters. In this blog many of my opinions are a little one-sided which is fine since that is the reason for this blog's existence. If you want to read some of my better work I suggest Associated Content (www.associatedcontent.com), Helium (www.helium.com), or one of my three blogs on My Space. In this blog I don't always know what I'm going to say before I say it or write it down so it's a bit more raw and a little more unconventional (like this here entry) and frankly, if you don't like it you can kiss my ass.

No censorship Baby!

I'll continue to say what I want to say when I say it and if you don't like it - Fuck You! No one asked you to read it.

No comments: