ABOUT THIS BLOG:

Before you read anything in this blog, please be aware that this is a writer's "personal" blog so many elements contained within are not the same opinions of those of any of the companies that the writer is associated with. This blog is simply for entertainment value and allows the writer a venue which is free from censorship.

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

Thursday, March 27, 2008

"A Gift" of Something Nice

Yesterday I started production on the new short film "A Gift" from co-directors Ondie Daniel and Keith Kelley. The production is part of a final project for their acting class in which I put CenterSeat Entertainment in the forefront as a co-producer in order to help get the project done.

In addition to being a co-producer I'm also the cinematographer for the film. Helping out on the film is Vernon Mui as my assistant cinematographer and cameraman and Asa Rose as my Best Boy and Sound man. These two have helped me on previous productions and were looking for an oportunity to work on something a little different then what they were accustomed to.

This being a film derived from an acting class, all the students just so happen to between the ages of three and sixteen or earlier high schoolers. Yesterday we filmed most of the exterior scenes with three of the young actors on he dock owned by the director Kelley. In fact, most of the scenes filmed had these same three boys whether on the dock fishing or up at the house camping and building a fire.

This being the first film in these positions for both filmmakers, Daniel and Kelley alternated between which films the other would take. Their job was essentially to focus on performances while I focused on the look and feel of scene in terms of all the technical aspects. It was a fast and furious film set as we tried to film as much as possible before some of the children began getting too tired or ansy or plan bored with the process of filmmaking.

Many scenes we breezed through, whether for the good or the bad, but one of the things that suffered most was the acting which we couldn't get all the actors to be "normal" in front of the camera and we may not have gotten all the coverage that we might need. I got a lot of coverage on my own without asking Kelley for specifics of what he needed (and frankly I don't think he knew what he needed).

All in all I took the experience like I do most first time directors which is that they will make mistakes but ultimately everything will turn out fine. I'm looking forward to the shoot later today because these little film shoots help me to remember that I'm a filmmaker at herat.

No comments: