ABOUT THIS BLOG:

Before you read anything in this blog, please be aware that this is a writer's "personal" blog so many elements contained within are not the same opinions of those of any of the companies that the writer is associated with. This blog is simply for entertainment value and allows the writer a venue which is free from censorship.

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Film Review: POPCORN

I would like to think that the film Popcorn is as good as I remember it when I saw it in ’91 when it was first released, but sadly this is a film, that for me, has aged very badly. Popcorn is about a group of students who put together a revival for old school gimmick films (B-movies in the vein of William Castle) and a serial killer who can mimic any one he wants in order to kill everyone at the revival event.

Jill Schoelen leads a cast on up and coming young actors (at the time at least) in a horror comedy with real bite. When I original saw the film I was young and the novelty of the film was not lost on me. I likened the film to the old Castle and Universal monster films. It was never a scary film, just a film that you could laugh at and have a good time.

Now the novelty is gone and the film can’t hold water under real scrutiny. I wish it did. I’m a huge fan of Schoelen from her days in such films as The Stepfather, Cutting Class, The Phantom of The Opera, and When a Stranger Calls Back, to name a few. The film is entertaining for a few laughs but that’s about it.

No comments: