ABOUT THIS BLOG:

Before you read anything in this blog, please be aware that this is a writer's "personal" blog so many elements contained within are not the same opinions of those of any of the companies that the writer is associated with. This blog is simply for entertainment value and allows the writer a venue which is free from censorship.

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

CITY GARDEN - "The Old Woman & The Park"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

On the set of the short film "A Gift"

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Retrospect: Jacob's Ladder


I was 14 years old when I first saw the film JACOB’S LADDER on the weekend that it was released to the box office. I was a huge horror film fan even at that age and the trailers for the film made it appear like a film I definitely couldn’t miss. Well, at 14 years of age I had no clue of what the hell was going on in the film and walked out at the end completely enraged. I remember this well as this was the first time me and my family (I had parents that supported my love of horror films) ever walked out of a film wanting our money back. None of us knew just what we were watching and what a gem this film truly was.

As I grew older I actually learned what the Vietnam war was as well as how it affected our nation. I didn’t watch the film until years later after hearing great praise for the film and I wanted to know what the fuss was about considering it was a film up until then that I had thought was horrible.

Boy, I’m glad I changed my mind about this film as it has truly become one of my favorites over the years. Written by Bruce Joel Rubin JACOB’S LADDER is a drug infused trip down horror lane as Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam vet suffering from visions of demons everywhere. It seems that the government were doing experiments during the war and the after effects are just now starting to kick into over drive which means bad things for Jacob and the remaining soldiers of his unit. The film is about Jacob’s inability to move on from both the events that were the war and from the death of his son and how the guilt can eat away at a person’s psyche.

The film has strong performances from Robbins as well and Elizabeth Pena (as his girlfriend) and Danny Aiello as his physical therapist and “angel” (who steels every scene he is in). Director Adrian Lyne crafted another great psychological drama like his other films NINE ½ WEEKS, FATAL ATTRACTION, and UNFAITHFUL.

No comments: